Celia Thaxter's Garden



"As I work among my flowers, I find myself talking to them, reasoning and remonstrating with them, and adoring them as if they were human beings. Much laughter I provoke among my friends by so doing, but that is of no consequence. We are on such good terms, my flowers and I." 
 On July 15, 2011 we boarded a research vessel in New Castle, NH and headed for Appledore Island for a guided tour of Celia Thaxter's Garden. Celia Laighton Thaxter (June 29, 1835 - August 25, 1894) was a witer of poetry and stories. She was also a gardener. Her Garden has been restored and maintained by the Shoals Marine Laboratory who hosted the tour.

We departed for the island from the dock at UNH 's Judd Gregg Marine Research Complex in New Castle, NH. We passed by the Portsmouth Harbor Light at Fort Constitution.
Ginny and Susan aboard the R/V Gulf Challenger. This was a research vessel and had no seating but the ride was enjoyable the weather was perfect.
Docking at the Shoal's Marine Laboratory at Appledore Island
They were very strict about this tour, I was not allowed to wander off on my own to snap photos. 
The gulls had NO FEAR of people and we were encouraged to wave our hands above our heads to discourage them from unloading on us.

One of the students trapped this critter for study.
A view of the hotel on Star Island, one of the nine islands that comprise the Isle of Shoals.

Research is done above and below the water

Young Gulls show off their new bands. Absolutely no fear, these guys run the island.

Family cemetery

Three bin composting, 

More gulls

My sister Susan standing the location shown in one of the paintings of Childe Hassam

Celia Thaxter's Garden
Celia Thaxter's Garden, 1890, by Childe Hassam

This Gladiolus escaped the garden and in my opinion looks better here.

Midsummer in full flower

Celia became the hostess of her father's hotel, The Appledore House. This cove was a popular place for swimming because as a sheltered area it would warm up a bit.

A spotting tower from WWII is an imposing structure.


Specimens

I didn't have $150 to spend



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look What I Saw at the Dump

National Housing Emergency, 1946-1947

The Samuel Tarbell-Ames House