Autumn Equinox 2016

Autumnal Equinox - September 22, 2016 10:21 EDT 


Good morning ,welcome to the fall season the best time of the year.

When we were kids we use to rake leaves just to have a big pile to jump into. I intend to do that this year. I still rake them the old fashioned way.

Raking Leaves at Fourth Street in Stamford, CT - 1948


Back in the "old days" we disposed of the leaves by burning them. I intentionally made the fire as smokey as possible because I liked the way it looked. Wet leaves helped with this strategy. This photo was taken of my cousins burning leaves in their mother's garden, which help to recycle nutrients to the soil.  Worries about air quality have banned this practice but I still remember the distinctive smell. My dad once tried to help the process along by using some gasoline. Thankfully that only resulted in some singed eyebrows.

Janis family - New Canaan, CT - 1951






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National Housing Emergency, 1946-1947

The Samuel Tarbell-Ames House

Look What I Saw at the Dump