Friday, October 28, 2016

Remnants of the Past


Support this blog by using this Amazon Link


I find it interesting to find remnants of the past tucked away in corners of the town. Parts of old mills, a penstock rusting away in the woods, iron brackets for fencing, can be seen in various places.

In an old postcard I spotted a what appears to be a planter with a street lamp. I assume the lower part might have served as a watering trough for horses. I was pleased to see that it still exists in front of the Re/Max Town Square office at the former location of the 1808 House.


Turnpike Road facing South (undated postcard)

Iron Planter in front of Re/Max Town Square in New Ipswich, NH. I suspect that the gas connection for the street lamp was accessed via the panel beneath it.

Former location of the 1808 House on Turnpike Road in New Ipswich, NH

A few photos of the original 1808 house can be seen on the New Ipswich Historical Society Website