Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Daily Analog Photo - Boston 1968

I accompanied a friend to Boston in the spring of 1968. He competed in target shooting and invited me to attend a gun show in Boston. At the same time Boston was experiencing riots in the aftermath of the Martin Luther King assassination.

James Brown, the "Godfather of Soul" helped calm down the city at the behest of Tom Atkins and Mayor White.

I grew weary of the gun show and wandered off to take photos.  Eventually attending a Vietnam War protest on Boston Common. In retrospect that is ironic since by the summer I was being shipped off to Boot Camp in the Great Lakes. It was a hell of a year.


Old North Church

"One if by land, two if by sea"

Here I am channeling my inner "flower child" and wearing a NRA pin from the show

I took the flower back to the gun show which  in retrospect might have gone badly.
I was inspired by a famous "Flower Power" photograph taken by Bernie Boston but didn't follow through.
Still I got some icy stares for taking a flower to a gun show, what does that tell us?