Thursday, November 14, 2013

Looking through the glass

In the late 1960s I saved my money to get my first SLR, an East German Praktica fitted with a f2.8 Carl Zeiss lens. The workmanship was a bit shoddy, fairly typical of the Soviet Bloc nations, but the lens was of high quality.

Up to this point I was only familiar with rudimentary cameras that would have very few adjustments. I made handwritten notes on this slide that I shot it at 1/30 second with an aperture setting of f2.8. EVERYTHING on this camera needed to be set. Lining up the split circles for focus, setting aperture and shutter speed. Do I miss this? NO!

The true magic that hooked me was seeing the image on the ground glass knowing that the film would see the same when the mirror flipped up. This was probably the photo that hooked me on photography. Now, 45 years later I find myself looking at display of what is coming through the glass. So much has changed but my love of this art has not diminished.

Probably one of my first photos taken with a SLR
I made a note on the slides 1/30 sec at f/2.8
No auto white balance on film, you used filters

These transparencies were scanned using a Epson Perfection V500 photo scanner
Resolution set to 400 DPI
Target Size 4 x 6 Inches (2399 X 1599 Pixels)
JPEG Compression at 15% (High Quality)
DIGITAL ICE Technology