Shooting the Moon

I've been waiting a long time to use that title for a blog posting. Every 14 years we are lucky enough to witness a perigee-syzygy of the Earth-Moon-Sun system or in human parlance a Super Moon.

I fitted my Four Thirds Olympus 70-300mm f/4.0-f/5.6 ED lens on a Olympus E-PL5 using a Panasonic adapter. All together it weighs in at a hefty 2 pounds 7 ounces. The lens dwarfs the camera.

I tried a few different exposures and even a few HDR shots which ended up being a waste of effort.

1/15 Second f/5.6
263mm
3:50 AM (why am I awake?)


I think this is my favorite shot of the series, it was getting light so the sky had a tinge of blue. I can see some crater ridges. However it also has some artifacts around the left side. Not sure whether that is the lens, sensor or software.

1/250 Second f/5.6
300mm
2:53 AM (Yikes)

This is a 3 shot HDR image which I tried as an experiment. It was totally unnecessary since the only thing HDR does is bring out sensor noise (even with an ISO setting of 200). One thing to note is that you do NOT need to take a long exposure. The combination of 1/250 - f/5.6 seemed perfect for capturing details.

1/250 Second - f/5.6
8:58 PM
E-3 Camera
March 19, 2011

I'm including a photo taken during the last Super Moon event since it appears that the moon surface has changed a bit. I was under the impression we always see the same surface. Is there a new crater strike? A question for the experts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look What I Saw at the Dump

National Housing Emergency, 1946-1947

The Samuel Tarbell-Ames House