Friday, June 21, 2013

Morning Walk - Horses and Reflections

I've been making an effort to have a camera with me at all times. You just never know what you might see. On one of our walks, we encountered a moose standing in the middle of the road. My camera was at home collecting dust. What a shame.

In my defense, my DSLR weighs in at over 3 pounds, not exactly a pocket camera. After seeing some shots a friend took using an Olympus TG-2 while winter hiking, I've been using that as my carry around camera. It has some limitation, but it has a fast f2.0 lens, GPS and is waterproof. I'm more interested in it being weather proof. Like most of the most recent digital cameras it has some built in filters to create various photo effects, including a nice automated panorama setting. It is light and portable.

1/320 Sec f/9.0
5.87mm

I'm guilty of not reading the manual fully to understand how the menus and buttons worked. This camera does have Auto Exposure Lock which would have helped in this photo with the sun in the background. Smaller cameras have fewer dials and buttons for specialized shooting conditions. The key less is RTFM (paraphrased Read the Manual)
Thankfully I have Adobe Lightroom, an essential tool for Digital Photography. The TG-2 does not shoot in RAW mode. but it is still possible to alter the photo a bit. I overdid this a bit as an experiment. Not an issue because Lightroom does non-destructive editing.

I used a graduated filter to darken the sky, which allowed me to increase the overall exposure without blowing out the details. I brightened the shadows, decreased the blue and green luminance so I could bring up the color of the horses. The photo has grain, so I added more as evidenced in the sky. So much fun to play with this and I always can roll back to the original.

1/125 Sec f/8.0
4.5mm
"Magic" Mirror Filter

The water on the Smithville Dam was completely still and reflected the treeline. I decided to try to use the "Mirror" filter to photograph a reflection of a reflection. When rotated, I think I see either a bear or a dog.