Friday, June 7, 2013

Daily Photo Theme - Buggy Friday

Winter is over, and Bug Hampshire is awash with insects. Today's photo theme is Buggy Friday. I found a few examples in the archives

The Robber Fly (Asilidae) catches it's prey in mid flight and sucks out the brains
of it's victims. How cool is that?

1/250 Sec - f/2.8 
50mm

Easy to photograph because the victim isn't going anywhere without it's brain and the Robber Fly
is busy with the task at hand

One of my favorite bugs (and there are not many)

1/125 Sec - f/10 
54mm
14.0 - 54.0 mm zoom lens

Cursed scarlet lily beetle  (Lilioceris lilii)
I had a nice collection of Oriental and Asiatic lilies. I loved the fragrance. This pest killed them all

1/500 Sec - f/2.0
50mm

Harlequin ladybird (Harmonia axyridis)
Introduced as a benefiicial insect, but they are annoying. They nip, gather in the house in
October in huge numbers. They also stink and tasted bad. I know because I bit into one
that was on a water bottle... yuck!

1/640 Sec f5.6
50mm