Saturday, June 8, 2013

Carnivorous Plants

In April of 2011, I dug a grave sized pit, lined it with fabric and dumped in bags of sand and peat moss. My goal was the creation of a bog garden featuring pitcher plants, one of the carnivorous plants that can winter over in New Hampshire. After two years, the bog is doing very well, although I worry about it during dry spells.

I've always be interested in these fascinating plant and find them great subjects for photos.

The classic carnivorous plant is the Venus Flytrap. Sadly I have had little luck keeping it from year to year
It is not winter hardy in New Hampshire but needs a cool rest period.
This photo was taken in 2005 with my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot A80 Point and Shoot

1/1000 Sec f/3,2
7.81mm 

Pitcher plants do not look very good in spring after a winter of abuse. The plant gets down
to the business of sending up flower buds, long before new traps. A sure sign of spring.
This shot was taken in my bog garden after one year to let it settle in.

1/125 Sec - f/4.0
50mm


The flowers are fascinating, they require a circuitous path of entry. I suspect this 
keeps bees from becoming a meal in the traps below the flowers. The plant has other plans for 
flies and ants.

1/250 Sec f/8.0
50mm

Dinner is served! Clever way to get nourishment

1/320 Sec - f4.0
50mm

We both eat bugs!
1/125 Sec f/8.0
54mm

Highly recommended houseplant is the Nepenthes tropical pitcher plant.
I put mine outside in Summer to let it eat a few New Hampshire bugs.

1/100 Sec - f2.0
50mm

Another hardy plant is the Drosera (Sundew). The "drops" are sticky and the plant pulls the 
insect inward to the plant surface to be digested. Delightful!

1/500 Sec - f/3.2
50mm